Patrick F. Heinen
Pat joined Spinella Owings & Shaia in January 2003. Prior to Spinella, he worked at Crews & Hancock, PLC as a corporate attorney, representing hospitals and other healthcare providers. A large portion of his current practice is collecting underpayments from workers’ compensation insurers.
Every year, Pat works with thousands of patients and insurance adjustors to negotiate payment for his clients. He has a small and specialized practice with a loyal client base. He and his staff are able to review bills, insurance remits, payments, etc. and determine any problem and the appropriate solution. In doing this every day, Pat and his team have developed the expertise to quickly resolve claims.
Pat started his college career a few weeks before his official discharge from the Army and completed his BA in English in the spring of 1988. In May 1997, Pat came to Richmond (his wife’s hometown) to pursue his law degree at The T.C. Williams School of Law, where he was a member of the McNeil Law Society and Moot Court Board.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Provider Insurance Claims, focusing on Workers' Compensation claims
- Medical Provider patient balance collections
- Individual and business representation
- Small business collection claims
- Virginia, April 21, 2000
- Federal Bankruptcy, Eastern District, March 3, 2003
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- Juris Doctor cum laude – December 1999
- Honors: Member of McNeil Law Society, Moot Court Board
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Campus
- B.A. in English, March 19, 1988
- Sartell High School, Sartell, MN, May 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- National Diocesan Attorneys Association
- St. Thomas More Society
- Commonwealth Catholic Charities, Board Member, Past Chair, 2006 - Present